Monday, December 12, 2005

Young a Sore Loser?

There was only one person in the country who seemed surprised by Reggie Bush's Heisman win on Saturday: runner-up Vince Young.

"I'm just disappointed for my fans, especially for my teammates and my family for not representing them in the right way," he told reporters after the ceremony. "I feel like I let my guys down, let my family down, let the whole cities of Austin and Houston down."

When another reporter asked about whether his Heisman finish would impact his decision to stay in school or go pro, he refused to answer. "I don't know, man. I'm still upset."

Young's reaction to the results surprised many.

"I just can't see where he's coming from," third place finisher Matt Leinart said. "With all due respect, I think the votes spoke for themselves."

In fact, it appears that Young's comments have let down more people than did his second place finish, and one said that it was in what Young said -- and not his loss to Bush -- that he didn't represent his fans, teammates and family in the right way.

"I just wish [coach] Mack Brown had prepared him better for losing," said one Austin resident, a graduate of UT. "[Young] could have been a lot more graceful after Reggie won."

ALSO: Young guaranteed a Longhorns victory in the Rose Bowl over the weekend. At the Duke - Texas basketball game, a New York Post reporter asked him if he would be making a statement similar to Joe Namath's before Super Bowl III.

"Right now, yeah, I'm very confident about it," he said. "They [the Trojans] come in the game off a high winning streak, and everybody's blowing them up, you know, and they think we're the underdogs and we're not going to come to play. I know that we are. We're going to come to show them the Texas football team."

9 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Amy L said...

good point txmed, I totally agree. I am not worried about this game at all. USC will win.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Joe said...

A friend of mine's brother is good friends with Strength and Conditioning Coach Carlyle. Here is what he told me in an email:

"According to Ray (the brother), Coach Carlyle said they are not overly concerned with Texas, who they see as just another Big-12 team ready for a reality check"

Get your money down now!

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger RPM said...

Looks like Young's losing it - putting too much pressure on himself. Before the Heisman presentation, where he talked about his argument about highlight reels going to Reggie vs consistency in winning going to him, I thought it was optimism, and media play.

But it seems he really thought he could win. My thoughts are on my blog, where basically I am trying to ask 'Are you serious, Vince?'.

And yea, this Texas team's ramblings so far seem to sound much like Okla of last year. Except that last year I really did feel that Okla was overrated. This year, having seen Texas play in a couple of games, I feel the challenge is much tougher.

It is of course good for USC that Vince is taking it so personally - it will cause his downfall that much quicker. One or two missed passes to start the game or a sack in the first series is all it will take to get him out of the game.

At least so it seems. Will see on the 4th! :-)

Great blog, btw guys. Keep it going. It has become my latest 'must read blog'.

Fight On!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger THN said...

Hey the Longhorns are going to bring it. If you look at the history of the Big XII in the BCS title game, it pretty much guarantees that Texas will indeed "bring it."

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger John said...

"Texas didn't crush A&M the other week, and they're going to whoop on SC? Don't think so."




Didn't USC crush Fresno State the other week, right before Fresno went on to lose to Nevada and Louisiana Tech?

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Marcus Anderson said...

Until USC can beat a big 10 team for the national title, they are a joke. It's easy whipping up on the pansies from PAC-10 all year, and even beating a team like Oklahoma or Texas for a National title, is like stealing. Give me a break. Why does USC get the byes?

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger The Chase said...

Longhorn fan here. I'm actually glad to see a USC fan with intelligent commentary on the matchup. Thank you tokamoto42. I am responding to your main points. First, while I agree that Pete Carroll has proven to be an excellent game-day schemer, it's hard to execute revolutionary schemes with a depleted talent pool. Compare this year's defense stats to those of last year. Also remember that we've got the defensive coordinator from Auburn, which last year was a top 5 defensive team. it's no wonder we are #6 overall (#5 vs the pass) this year. i think we'd both agree that the offenses arent very complicated and that both teams have executed well. I will say, however, that USC probably not go with the 3-3-5. You're going to need to stack the box (7+) against us. Look at our rushing stats..they're better than yours.

I'm not sure how you can "guarantee" that the other 10 offensive players won't be in midseason form. You act like we've never been on a big stage before. I'll give you the championship game experience edge, but challenge you to argue that it'll overcome the relative talent deficiency you have compared to last year. I say "relative" because I think your offense is just as good as last year (maybe even better - the numbers would indicate so), but the defense is worse. Remember, it's not 2 vs 11. If Chris Simms were QB, I wouldnt even attend this game, but Vince is at the helm and I wouldnt miss it. Finally, if you're as learned a football fan as you make yourself out to be, then you'd defenses (and the OL/DL) typically dictate the outcome of a game. This one should be no different. My seats are awesome (and free!). I can't wait.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Chappy said...

Texas fan here-
this should be a CLASSIC!

I challenge anyone to name another game with more future NFL running backs on the field at the same time (besides some sort of allstar game)..Texas has 5 BIG TIME running backs:
1. Selvin Young- explosivo who had numerous injuries this year is healthy again
2. Jamaal charles- true fresh with more speed than a truck stop drug dealer
3. Ramonce Taylor- the best athlete on the field besides Reggie
4. Henry Melton- another true fresh- 270lbs built like a tall Bettis
5. Vince Young- see 2005 rosebowl

Im not ignoring the Trojans rbs- they have one of the best backfield tandems College football has seen. BUT- I don't think the world is ready for our ARMY of running backs and the monsterous holes they get from our O line- which is by far the best in the country. And just when you start to creep up in the box, VY will step back and drop a bomb on you...GET READY.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Oskie said...

Who is the sore loser now? I guess that would be your boy Matt Leinart: "I still think we're a better football team, they just made the plays in the end."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home